Friday, February 18, 2011

Just another Friday in Africa

Today wasn't super exciting. No crazy tails.
Woke up and had breakfast. Then I had an art class with the schilinski boys. In return for teaching Holly's boy's art she said she would teach me Pidgin. So After the art class Holly and I went to town to look at the second hand shops, which is this whole section of town of any thing you could possibly think of that is used, or they call second hand.
We came back and Holly and Jake taught me and the boys Cameroonian Pidgin, which is their common language here. It is like a slang English. It was alot of information to process so I will be practicing what I learned this week for my next lesson next Friday. One word that is used more than any other word is "Ashya" (Ashi-a) which means "sorry" or "greetings" you can pretty much say it in any instance. You especially use it when you see some one doing work and you are not then you say to them: ashya, and they respond "thank you." It is a kind of "i feel for you" more than "I feel sorry for you". Kinda cool. Also "wati" means "what is it?" You can say "na wati?" Like what is wrong?
It is fun but challenging it is some what like shortening English in a way, and it is hard once you are set in your way of speaking to say something different than you would typically say.
It is fun to learn though, and people here love that you are trying to talk with them.

Later on we had a mission prayer meeting. All the missionaries from around our town and villages come and have a get together, tonight we had food, but typically it is just a prayer meeting to pray together of what is going on in the area with growth, healing, sickness, etc. So that was very cool seeing people from all around and praying for this country.
Overall, productive day. It is about 9:30. Getting late. At home I would be up for like another  3 or 4 hours on a Friday night, but this whole waking up early thing is tiring me out!
I hope you all are doing fine, please keep reading I don't want to be writing for nothing!
Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment