Sunday, February 13, 2011
Today I am writing for pretty much the whole weekend. Yesterday the internet was in and out so I didn't really go online, then we had a power outage, so just went to bed early. Then today we had some internet this morning right after church but since the internet is connected to a lot of people after church it went really slow, to then off. I did get to call Erik via skype which was a much needed catch up. Made me very happy. Then we talked on skype chat this morning which also made my day way better than it would have been.
SO yesterday was Saturday, which will usually be my free/family day, and it was. I haven't started work so I wont be able to write as much after I get super busy, and then with the internet just warning. The blogs will get more scarce.
Yesterday, in the morning Holly, Josh(one of Holly and Jake's boys), Jordan(their baby girl), and I walked to the Children's home so that I could know the way when I walk by myself tomorrow morning. At the children's home they learn their basic skills, and on saturday they do their chores. Such as, laundry, light cleaning, and helping with the dishes on a rotation. It is really good for them to have a routine as they do. After we walked back I went to the meat market with Holly, which was an experience. I got a good picture of the skin of a pig just laying next to the meat we purchased. Luckily Holly and Jake have been in Africa for over 10 years, but in Bamenda for about 3-4 years, so they know how to not get ripped off. So going with Holly was an adventure. Knowing how much meat should cost per kilo yet they still, since we are white, try to rip us off. All white people have money trees to them apparently.
In the afternoon, we had company over, another mission family in town. Apparently there are quite a few in town. Some with wicliff, some with YWAM, teen missions, etc. Very interesting to meet missionaries from all over the world. (Canada, Sweeden, England, Ohio, New Hampshire, and I will meet more)
Then that is when Jake got the internet back up and running, by climbing on the roof to do something with the antenna. Then I got to talk to Erik. After that I was late for dinner a little bit, but it was good because then I got to talk with the dinner guest who were a pastor and his wife from Youande, the capital, where Jake and Holly once lived at the beginning of living in africa. The Pastor had many great stories. He told one of a village where they has about 10 witch-doctors and 9 of them died, he said it was God's doing. The last one, came to the crusade or church service, with a knife. Came at the pastor. He was restrained. He said he had a change of heart, just to seem calm down so that they would let him go. But not too long after he died along with the others. Knowing that he could have just made the right decision is sad to think about. He had the opportunity right in front of him. He had many other stories. Very amusing with his heavy french accent speaking english.
By the time they left, getting ready for bed, about to read the electric went out. Early night for me.
Today was Jude's 3rd birthday! He is so cute it is not even funny. He can barely pronounce anything. I have to have Seth, the second oldest, translate for me. So we had church. It was very good. Jake preached on the fruits of the spirit, which is always a good reminder. I know especially being here my fruits will be used often. At the end of the church I couldn't really understand the closing assistant pastor but he was like "the white american girl" will close us in prayer, and I didn't really hear. So when everyone was looking at me, I was like I know they want me to do something but I don't know what. So Jake leans over and is like "thats you." So first sunday there the called me in front of the 40+ congregation and I closed the service in prayer.
Then we went home and got ready for Jude's birthday. So cute. Holly made a Bob the Builder, fondant cake, which was amazing to look at! They invited the 3 little one's from the children's home that I will be teaching. They are all about Jude's age. Also, Josh invited Simon. Simon is a neighborhood boy that is Josh's best friend. He is very smart. They all wore party hats and animal masks. Very cute party. Then presents. Then they watched Tom and Jerry. Jake then took the 3 little ones home, and Simon, Josh, Seth, and I played "LIFE" before they went to bed. Very productive day. But tomorrow the relaxation ends. I am starting to work/teach the 3 little ones and the house mother the basics. Very excited to get started getting to know and helping them learn tomorrow.
Well it is late, going to get some sleep.
Pray my day goes well. (If any one reads this :D )
No comments:
Post a Comment