Thursday, February 10, 2011

Finally Made it!

From yesterday...internet went out before I could send.

I have finally arrived in Bamenda, Cameroon, Africa! 
It has been 3 and 1/2 days of travel and I have made it. 
Safe and sound.
I am staying in a house with a family. Jake and Holly and their 4 kids. 
SO far, they are amazing, and I know it will stay that way. They are laid back and I already feel at home.

My flight from Paris to Cameroon was peaceful. Sat next to a young Cameroonian that worked in Italy and was flying back to visit family, and sell some things such as food, clothing, and wine from Italy so that he could raise money and give it to the poor people of his community. Being on a long flight with people really helps you get to know them fast, and personally by the amount of space in between you and that other person. On the other side of him was an older woman Katherine, who comes to Cameroon once a year to visit her sister and brother-in-law that are deaf, and run a deaf home for people in Cameroon. 
I found out that being disabled in any way in a third world country you are "worthless" to your village/community. Imagine being handicapped and being treated as an animal. 
This English woman was more experienced than me in the Douala airport so she went through customs with me and showed me where the baggage claim was. In the ORL airport you may be thinking why would you need help? But it was a MAD-House. People everywhere, and everyone in a HURRY! Throwing bags around, yelling in french. Overwhelming for someone young, white, and female. 

FInally, got all my 4 bags on a trolly: 2 mine, 1 cary on, and 1 was from family of the family I am staying with. Heavy and awkward shaped. I am walking through the trying to get to the door, and of course customs stops me. Wants me to unpack the trolly and open my bags. Thank God, Jake walked up, "Are you Delanee?" haha Relief.
Jake talked to the customs officers in French and got us out of there. 
With harassment from locals trying to get money for carrying our bags to the car...with great denial, finally arrived to the car. 
We stayed in a local Baptist church that had a mission lodging area. One more night of being alone. It is different being alone in a hotel room type room, than a private bedroom in a house. The comfort levels are completely different, then when you are all alone. 
I am in a house with a family, feelin safe and less alone. 

Tonight they gave me a tour to the house, I unloaded my personal belonging, which turns out to be quite a bit for 2 months, I put up some pictures of family and friends to remind me of home. Also, tonight the 2 families of missionaries I will be working with gave me a run through of do's and don'ts of Cameroon. (ie: say no to all marriage proposals) I am sure Erik will appreciate me saying "No." THey said they see pretty, young, white female and they think free visa to America! I think not. Anyone who knows me knows that I am like a bug zapper, and men are the bugs. Not easy to approach. My mom always said I have "porcupine" tendencies. Eh what ever. If it helps to have tough skin then I am grateful for being made the way I am. 
Also they gave me my agenda, or work schedule for the duration of the time. Nothing is set in stone hour by hour but my days will be full. I am excited that I will be doing an art class with the Children's Home once a week, and making a mural type sign. SOO I get to do art! I wrote alot thats enough for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment