Thursday, March 31, 2011

So I am going to try to write a long one, probably wont nothing too exciting happening. Same thing different day with the kids.
The electric company is apparently going on strike, sooo Jake said don't expect power none-the-less internet. SO ya.

Today was nice. It went by so fast I looked at my clock and it was 12:30 and I typically leave at noon to head home for lunch. It isn't a big deal being late I just thought it was funny because I typically look at my watch and its like 10:30, but today the time just flew.
I am really enjoying spending time with the kids. Typically the older ones are doing their own thing, so I spend alot of time with the younger ones coloring, and doing chalk on the big front drive way. Which it hasn't rained all week, so all the chalk we have been doing is covering the whole drive way and we have no where to write which I find funny, and really cool that they are enjoying it so much its covering so much ground.
We did like a mirror image, writing of your name for our art project. I am really enjoying seeing them open up to me and just wanting to spend time with me. The art time is when more of the older girls come out, and that really makes me happy. Women here don't really get to express themselves. They are intended to work, cook, and be good house wives/girls. Who ever knows me well knows that I would cause a ruckus if I had to be cooped up in a house all day every day and had no choice about it. But it is just intended here. So for me to show them that they can express themselves makes me so happy. They are so good at drawing too, I wish that they had art classes here. It is a trade here, you would have to go to vocational school here in order to be an "artist", which is rubbish. Anyone can be an artist. These kids are so talented and they have never even been taught. Imagine having lessons. Ah!
So after our little art lesson the little kids, well like 4 younger boys pulled out 3 drums and just went crazzy it was awesome. They all just play, sing, and dance. Who ever isn't drumming is either singing or dancing. It is such a sweet dynamic. They all have rhythm and they all know how to dance, its just in their blood!
They also love photography! Not only do they love their own picture being taken but they love taking pictures. Some one gave me a very nice donation towards my trip, since my money was all taken care of. I bought a camera to document my trip. So I have no problem, even though it is not a cheap piece of electronics I still know that it is the Lord's money, he provided it, so if it is brightening an orphans day then so be it. I am typically one who will worry about stuff like that. Kids and expensive things typically don't mix. Shattering typically happens. It is out of my hands! I am more than happy to share something so small as letting a child take a picture for the first time if it brightens their day.

I think that is one thing that I am learning. "Things" are temporary. If it breaks, the bright side is I got 8 weeks of amazing photos from it while I was in AFRICA!  I know it wont, but there is always a bright side to a situation, and I need to tell myself that every day instead of worrying about something going wrong, which is typically my first thought.

There are a few kids that really stick out to me, that remind me of people from back home. I don't know if that makes sense. They are much younger than me but I feel like I have met them before. There is a older girl about 12-13 named Miranda who I feel so drawn to. She reminds me of a friend back home that is like a little sister to me. I can go with out seeing her for weeks and when I do we just pick up where we left off. I don't know how to explain it, but Miranda reminds me alot of her. I am always trying to talk with her and learn about her but she is very shy. She is the oldest of 3, and the children's home has all 3. So I know she feels alot of responsibility. It is also different here. When you are an older sibling you take up the parent role sort of, but when you are the oldest of 3 orphans you pretty much become their parent. I cant imagine the pressure that they hold. She is beautiful and I cant explain why I am drawn to her but I know that I will miss her dearly.
There is a little boy names Marvelous who is probably as cute as Aaron my little brother was, I am partial of course being the big sister, but he is 6 or 7 and he is the youngest who goes to school. He is doing very well in school, but he always seems so tired. When you are playing with him he is so smiley and so cute and I also love being around him. I asked him for a hug yesterday and he gave me a great bear hug, he was so tired and in need of a nap everything was making him cry, so I thought a hug would help out a little bit. I know that any time Ahnissa, my little sister, would cry when she was younger, if she couldn't sleep or she was bawling after getting a spankin' I would go in her room and give her a great big hug and I knew that was comforting to her. I cant believe how big she is now. I feel like a parent looking back on my kids growing up, I am so weird.
Then there is Dereck. I don't know why he always makes me laugh. When I showed the kids a picture of my family they said that Aaron and Dereck resemble eachother so maybe thats it. Maybe he just reminds me of Aaron the little brother I love. But Dereck does the cutest thing, he is super outgoing and so funny, but when you make him laugh he covers his mouth with his hands. It is so cute. I think thats what makes me laugh even more than I am already. Its like a shy, protective mechanism. Even though he is far from shy. 

I am already feeling as though I am going to miss each and every one of these kids terribly when I leave. So bitter sweet. I really hope I made an impact and they don't forget me. 


Well I will write later, hope fully I wont go with out power for very long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment