I know being a missionary isn't easy but when your in the mix of things you just really with is was.
Jake said it best to me last night "We have to be transparent" And If you know me at all I wear all my emotions on my sleeve. Is that a blessing or a curse? I think it is a blessing when I am happy, but a curse when I am a little peeved.
I have really been trying to please the people I am interning here for, doing the best of my ability to adapt to different circumstances and trying new things. However, I feel pulled very thin at times. My main job, is to work with the pre-school age children and Ma to help them learn as much as I can teach them the duration of the time I am here. So Ma is learning beautifully, we are rolling through the alphabet, sounds, and she is identifying the beginning of words with the right sound/letter. I am thrilled to watch her knowledge grow because of me. The little ones on the other hand are the ones pulling me thin. There are 5 of them on a daily basis. (Bena and Dorcas-3) (Sandrine-6) and (John and Steven- 3,2) John and Steven are 2 boys that are Ma's grandkids, they are just here for a short time, but since I am here Ma and Steven's mom take advantage of the fact I am here. But I am here for the girls to teach them. However, I can not teach them when there are 5 running around and distracting one another. I am getting frustrated especially when being told I am not teaching. But I can not tell the 2 boys to just "go away" when it looks like I am having fun with the girl, but in reality I am teaching them the basics, colors, numbers, and some letters. It is really hard to please both adult and child at the same time, and trying my hardest not to offend or leave anyone out. Today for example I had worked with all 5 coloring and reading to them, so I thought an hour was good for all 5, and I would ask the boys to leave for a little and let me work with the girls alone so that I could really buckle down and teach them. Right when I got the boys to leave, and ended their distracting crying; Jake, Tim(another missionary) and Jude (3) came to work on something on the property. Since, Jude was there he wanted to play and there for my teaching was distracting again. Made Jude cry by saying he couldn't play because I was teaching and then it got Jake involved and there went the attention span of the girls. I am still in the phase here trying to find my nitch, and I am not blaming any one it is just hard to please both worlds. Pray that I find a fine medium, and can help all the kids. But I am only one person, stretch by the wants and needs of about 10 people.
And not to mention I am fighting a cold, so I am already a little lower energy than normal.
Being a missionary is hard.
No comments:
Post a Comment