Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I have 6 followers!

I am excited I am not writing to myself!
So today and yesterday were about 1 in the same.
Worked with the kids in the morning. I am getting closer to the little ones and trying to remember all the older ones because I do not spend quite as many hours as with the little ones. And there are more older ones to remember their names. Yesterday in the afternoon it stormed so I didn't end up going over. But today we had Kid's Club which is always fun. I do an object lesson and try to do a game to do with the object lesson to have a little fun and they can remember what we talked about. In the afternoon from about 3:30 - 5 I try to work with the older ones to get to know them a bit better, and I see the little ones all morning. I am really liking being here, even though home sickness is always in the back of my mind.

I have been working diligently with Ma. She is learning slowly but surely. I know we will have her reading by the end of the time of my stay here. She is bright but being older it is hard for her to remember everything as quickly as a young child learning how to read as most of us did.

I am really trying to absorb the culture. Along, with my Pidgin lessons with Holly and Jake, I asked Ma in return of me teaching her if she could teach me some things from her dialect and she started that today, so I feel a strong bond toward her. She is sort of another adopted grandmother figure. She is quite amazing. I am really enjoying working with her. I feel a pull toward education with working with her, it is fulfilling. I know that my impatience is still hovering over my head, so that is where I feel uncertain about an education path. I am wondering how I can mix psychology and education. I am really curious about how people behave with different experiences they go through. For example, I am curious how these children at the children's home with be psychologically when they are my age or older. People really interest me.
Also another little thing I notice about myself that sort of deals with psychology is I like to listen to people. Today, while walking to and from the children's home I was walking with 3 boys that are friends with Holly and Jake's kids, and also like near our house, so we walk together and they participate in Kid's Club. We were walking together and they were speaking Pidgin which is some english mixed with french slang of sorts, and I didn't understand half of the stuff they were saying but I loved listening to them laughing and joking with eachother. I could pick up on some by just the 1 lesson I have had, but it was still difficult for me because they speak so fast!
I am learning, and still trying very hard to absorb the lesson(s) that God wants me to learn from this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment