Being in Africa, well I guess away from everything you know and is comfortable with is the biggest whirl wind of emotions I have ever experienced. I don't know how to explain it. I am still living with an american family, catching on to the language here, watched some movies that I know, and at least get to communicate with people back home. But I don't know how to explain it. I am so happy when I am with the kids. They are amazing and beautiful and I am getting to know each and everyone of them individually. I am building relationships with different people and still being myself, joking and learning new things. It is just the weirdest emotional ride, depending on the day is depending on my mood.
The days are good when I am distracted. Thursday was different I just hung out at the orphanage during the day with the house help, Mommy, Bridget, Congoline, and Norbert. We just played with the kids I did my lessons with mommy and But other than that we just hung out and talked. It was nice. It was different I felt comfortable and I felt like part of the culture, just joking and talking about random stuff. Then in the afternoon I had on Wednesday taking pictures and videos of the kids singing and dancing, so Thurs afternoon I brought my laptop and the kids LOVED seeing videos of themselves. So funny. Loved watching their faces when they would see themselves in it.
Then Thursday night wasn't so good, so went to bed early. Couldn't sleep.
Yesterday was completely different, I did a 2 hour art class with the 2 boys I am staying with. They are home schooled so I did an art class with them, which was alot of fun again teaching some body something that they have never learned before. Made me really consider being a teacher, but the job market is so unpromising. It is really discouraging thinking about going back to school in the fall and not knowing if I will even get a job after spending that time and money.
Then I had lunch with another missionary family who is close family friends with the Schilinski's, the family I am staying with. They are a really sweet family. A married couple and their son, who is about the same age as the boys I live with. Then I just hung with Donna, and talked with her for about an hour which was nice, she is really sweet and had alot of uplifting words for me. I get positivity when I need it the most.
Her and her husband have a really cool story. They have been in Cameroon for a long while and they met in Bible college and knew they were both called to Africa. So that is awesome because that is just affirmation that you are with the right person. I wish everyone was that lucky.
In the evening I was asked to spend the night at a girls house from another missionary family. Sue, she is the one going back to the states for college a week before me. I declined they were watching 2 movies I just watched and we were already planning on going to the children's home in the morning and I didn't really want to stay up late when it was my idea to get everyone together at the children's home.
So I just went to bed early.
Got up and we all met at the children's home to do handprints.
On my first mural I did a blank border around the outside of the logo, and today everyone did handprints in paint in all different colors. It was alot of fun, I bought candy, "sweets", for the kids. Took some really good pictures. It was a good morning.
Now we just have a bunch of company over like every saturday. Just hanging out talking.
I like saturdays because they are relaxing after a nonstop week, but also they are not too relaxing because the Schilinski's Always have company. The door bell is like ringing off the hook. It is pretty unbelievable how many people they have over.
So I will see if I write later, I don't know yet.
Talk later
No comments:
Post a Comment