Tuesday, March 15, 2011

forgot a couple things

So living with an american family we eat mostly american. I have tried a couple things that are cameroonian/african but not until yesterday I got a full experience of the food.
So we woke up super early and we ate here usually just have like jelly bread, or some buttered bread or something for breakfast. Pretty simple cant go wrong with that. Bread is a normal meal for breakfast here for all cameroonians. Cheap and fills you up.
So for lunch we were in Ndop(in-dop) I think it was called. We stopped at a Fu-Fu house they called it. Fu-Fu is a corn based, mashed potato textured food that they eat all the time! It was fine, tasteless pretty much. Little bit of salt I would have liked it better, they dip it in djama-djama. It is a cooked green leafy vegetable. Also, very tasteless. Together it is a , mashed potato texture. Very interesting. Again with a little, more like alot of salt and cooked with some garlic it would have been very tasty. But I was not the biggest fan at lunch time.
Hoping that we were going back that day we didn't really plan on meals. Just planned on getting some soya, cooked meat at a vender, and bread. More snacky foods. But since we were traveling with cameroonians they wanted what they are used to.
As I said in my last writing, we didn't end up arriving at Gom until 5, we were not going to drive back so I was excited for some soya and bread just for dinner then going to bed. However, the pastor traveling with us is from Gom so his sister lived in the next town over so we stopped there for dinner before going to the guest house. Guess what she was cooking for dinner. Djama-djama and fu-fu. Yum. So needless to say I ate a little and hoped for a snack after, or just waited to have a good meal today for lunch. :D
It's bearable but not what I would choose to eat if I could help it.
We stayed the night in Ndu(in-doo).

Also, an exiting thing I did a couple days ago was drive to the children's home with Holly. It was really fun. I have not driven stick shift for like 3 years so I was nervous, and especially on these terrible bumpy, hilly roads. I did good, no stalling. But I was mostly down hill so I am mustering the courage to go up a big hill! We shall see.

Have a picture of the cat and some of the children from Gom who were just beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment